Frequently Asked Questions - Policies and Procedures
A tariff is a tax levied on imports and/or exports. The Common External Tariff (CET) of CARICOM is based on the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS) an internationally standardized system and names numbers developed and maintained by the World Customs Organization (WCO) for classifying traded products. The CET provides the rates of Duty for all goods imported into Caricom Member States
There are over 30 brokers and brokerage companies in Roseau, Portsmouth and Marigot who are trained to prepare declarations using ASYCUDAWorld.
You need to prepare a detailed declaration for Customs when importing goods of high value, vehicles, goods which qualify for duty free concessions or are for commercial purposes.
An adult will qualify for duty free concessions if they fall within any of the following categories:
- A citizen of Dominica by birth, descent and naturalization who has resided outside of Dominica continuously for at least the last seven (7) years.
- The non-Dominican spouse of a Dominican national accompanying him/her to reside permanently in Dominica and who has resided outside of Dominica continuously for at least the last seven (7) years.
- Students who have attained the age of 18 years and have studied abroad for more than one(1) year will qualify for concessions in respect of books, tools of trade, computer and other used personal effects.
Students are not entitled to motor vehicles duty free.
Returning Residents will be required to:
- attend a brief interview at the Customs and Excise Division by a senior customs officer to determine eligibility for duty free concessions
- present documentary evidence to confirm residence abroad and intentions to reside in Dominica
- to have a Customs Declaration prepared by a Broker. The Declaration must indicate all the items he/she has imported into Dominica including the quantity and value of each item as far as possible.
Further information can be found at:
The tariff can be found on the Customs Website